Thursday, February 25, 2010

RANDOM THOUGHTS FROM A RAMBLING MIND

I was reviewing this blog and a thought came to me (one of many), I wonder how many of you opened up this blog and wondered to yourself..who the heck is The Briar Patch?? I'm not suprised, you see it's so like me to start things right smack dab in the middle. You see, I'm a rambling thinker. You know the kind, we get that far away look in our eyes if your talking to us about any one subject for say .. more than 5 minutes. In the span of that 5 minutes, I have thought of no less than 10 other subjects and I can't wait to blurt them all out at once, or else I will forget. I'm not really so forgetful, as I am scatter-brained. Yes, I admit it, my mind works kind like a ticker tape, one thought is barely formed and another one comes marching past. So I don't know that I forget, I simply don't retain..after all, how much storage does one person have? All my space is apparently used up with bits of usless information and all new stuff has to fight for space. I'm brain cell challanged.
So like most things, I started this blog in the middle of the story. So please, let me start over and I will try to keep some order to my thoughts. The Briar Patch came about out of my desire to work from home, keep my grandkids a couple of times a week, and play in the dirt. Now I could have done all those things and my sweet husband Mr. Bob would have supported me in the manner I am accustom to , but I didn't feel like that would be fair. After all, I am healthy (thank you Lord) and able to work, so to ease my guilt I decide to start a business.
We spent the summer of 2004 building a sweet little 10' x 12' cabin, up near the garage (so we had access to electricity), complete with a front porch and home made shutters. I painted it barn red (what else?) and fitted it with an old tin roof. We stood back and looked at our sweet little creation...ahhhh. Then it hit me...ah how are we going to move it? Well, we did the only thing we could do..we rolled it on logs. Hey, that's how they used to move houses isn't it? Down the driveway we went, almost a thousand feet, to the end of the field next to the road. The neighbors thought we were crazy, there it sat...all alone. How sad! But never fear! I have a plan.
Break out the tractor! We cranked up old Oliver, and with diesel smoke rising above our beloved little cabin , I climbed aboard. Like a woman possessed, I lowered the plow and dug up an acre of wonderful sweet smelling earth. All that summer, I tended, amended and planted that acre. Rows of perennials and ornamental grasses all evenly spaced with a path of wood mulch between each row. Up near the barn we dug up another acre and planted it with with the same plants. That summer we watched our gardens grow, and by the spring of 2005 we opened the doors of the Briar Patch. TA DA! We're in business!
The first garden, out behind the cabin, is our "Show garden". A place for customers to wander among the plants and see how they look when they are fully grown. The garden next to the barn is where we sell plant starts right from the ground! Folks took to this right away, and we're very receptive to the idea of having their new baby dug up right from the ground so they can plant it right in their own garden. This works out very well,because the plants are already acclimated to the garden temperatures and are less likely to go into shock. So that's how it all started. Stay tuned...I haven't told you about the Market Place! See ya...

2 comments:

  1. ooohhhhhh....tell me more!! Your randomness is inspiring and your little shop is beautiful! Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog a little while back thanks to Mel's post on facebook... I so love those who think a mile a minute while I am still thinking how pretty that little flower looks - or how shiney the shell of that beetle is. It takes us all to fully enjoy the beauty of life. So keep pecking out the messages- I love it!
    -owlmama

    ReplyDelete