Thursday, March 4, 2010

TO THE RESCUE!

Another good reason for eliminating coyotes.This is Baby. It seemed like such an appropiate name when we rescued her.How do you rescue a cow, you ask yourself. Well let me explain. About 2 summers while working in my gardens, everyday I looked forward to watching the newborn calves in the field next door. One day I noticed one little calf would stand up on those wobbly little legs and try to follow the herd as they headed to the end of the field to their only source of water, only to stumble a few steps and then again lay down in the tall grass. Well now, I've never been one who can be accused of minding my own business, so I took my business right into the house after about the 3rd day and called the farmer (whom we shall refer to as...uncaring neighbor). Neighbor, I asked, whatcha gonna do about this here wobbly, sorry little calf out here? I can't stand to watch this go on any longer, I says. Do you know what neighbor said to me?? "I've got too many calves to worry about a sick one..if you want that calf go get it". Well, don't you know..that is all it took. Back to the house I went, with a full head of steam looking ever so much like Hazel, does anyone remember Hazel?? Anyway, Mr. Bob saw me comin', and he knew we had another mission in the works. So we fired up Oliver Jr. (the lawn tractor), hooked up our little utility wagon and headed for the pasture. There she was, the saddest, skinniest little creature you ever saw. So weak that we had to roll her onto a tarp and drag her into the wagon. (even a sick calf can weight about 80 lbs) Back to the barn we went. Right away we contacted Mr. B's sister who raises goats and contracted for fresh goat milk. Hand feeding her,well not actually hand feeding her, no teets on my hands you see, wonder why they refer to it as hand feeding..hmmm, anyway...feeding her from a bottle and giving her a little shot of horse wormer she began to perk up right away. No really, horse wormer is like a magic cure, might try some myself..feeling kinda sluggish. But I digress. Before long, she was able to eat grain from a bucket and started looking slick and beautiful. I knew we had turned the corner when she started making big cow poop, so proud, I think I even shed a tear. So that's the story of Baby, who by the way, now weighs in at about 1200 lbs and can wear a hat like this and look GOOD in it. But, what is this? Is she doing what I think? Is she thumbing her nose at Me? Well, she doesn't have thumbs..is she tongueing her nose at me? Oh no you didn't..the hat was YOUR idea.Let me tell you..girlfrienz got attitude. That comes from being an only child I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment